Saturday 27 August 2011

Am I committed or do I need committing?

Soooo, I bought a boat. To live on....... As you do. Not a nice sedate canal boat, or a sensible roomy river boat. A bloody great 30ft sail boat.

I have lived on the coast for nearly 2 years, before that I lived about as far inland as you could get. I have never sailed in my life! Which makes me wonder, "what the hell am I doing?"....... This is sort of intended to be a record, probably of how not to go about things. It was suggested by a colleague that I should write a blog, so here I am.

Basic facts first:
  • My boat is a 29'2" Snapdragon 890 named Maestro.
  • She was fairly cheap and does need some tidying.
  • I have not yet moved in, having only just had her surveyed it's a paperwork waiting game now.
  • I am currently renting a room. It's luxurious and I want for nothing - except my own space.
  • I am unwilling to rent and will never get a mortgage on my income alone.
  • Somehow along the way I decided buying a live aboard was the answer??

I am simultaneously scared witless, and unimaginabley excited.

And on the upside, yesterday I finally managed to remember which side is port, and which starboard - star light, star bright, starboard is on the right!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting a boat. Another way to remember port and starboard is that port has less letters in it than starboard, just like left has less than right. Also you have a red light for port, and green for starboard. Red, left, and port all have less letters than there counterparts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Port, left, both have four letters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and you'll love the bilge keel! Bottom maintenance is a breeze.

    Btw-using Google account and I still have to navigate the spam bot hoops??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already do love the bilge keel - so reassuring that if I spring a leak I can just sail it up onto the beach!

    No idea with the spam bots I'm afraid, this blog malarky is still quite new to me??

    ReplyDelete